With three multi-brand stores – two in East Yorkshire, one in the North – and seven Pandora concept stores in Harrogate, Hull, Leeds, Sheffield, Wakefield and Bradford, Hugh Rice has grown to be one of the region’s most prestigious family jewellers.
Established in 1971, the jewellers started life as a clock and watch repairers in a small basement on George Street, Hull, after founder Hugh Rice served his apprenticeship in watch and clock making at the prestigious Carmichael’s department store.
In 1988, Hugh moved the company to bigger premises on George Street – a store that remains in the memories of their longstanding customers to this day – and made the leap into the retail sector. Hugh Rice has been helping people find the perfect pieces of jewellery for any occasion ever since.
After opening a new store in Beverley in 2000, Hugh Rice spent the next 14 years building on its success and growing its customer base in Yorkshire.
In 2006, the jewellers added a third store to its portfolio by opening its doors for business on Whitefriargate in Hull’s Old Town. 2008 saw Hugh Rice move from their home on George Street to St. Stephen’s, a shopping centre that attracts more than 10 million visitors a year.
With the success and high demand of Pandora, Hugh Rice transformed their Whitefriargate store one year later into their first Pandora concept store – one of only four Pandora concept stores in the UK. 2009 also saw Pandora Meadowhall One open its doors to its first customers.
Never one to rest on its laurels, Hugh Rice continued to grow over the next five years with the opening of Pandora Meadowhall Two, Pandora Bradford, two Pandora stores in Leeds, and two stores in Harrogate: one Pandora, one Hugh Rice. In 2012, the jewellers also expanded their flagship St. Stephen’s store to house a dedicated Fashion Brand department.
Hugh Rice offers a mixture of fine jewellery and watch brands as well as an extensive collection of fashion jewellery. It stocks the finest international brands, including Omega, Breitling, Tag Heuer, Chopard, Thomas Sabo and Pandora.
Hugh Rice also offers an exquisite range of diamond jewellery, and has a team of in-house jewellery designers who can create bespoke, elegant pieces to their customers’ exact specification.
- 1971 – Hugh Rice the Jewellers opens on George Street, Hull
- 1988 – Hugh Rice branches into the retail sector and moves to a larger store on George Street
- 2000 – New store on North Bar Within, Beverley, opens
- 2006 – New store on Whitefriargate, Hull, opens
- 2008 – Hugh Rice moves to their new home in St. Stephen’s Shopping Centre, Hull
- 2009 – Whitefriagate store transforms into Hugh Rice’s first Pandora concept store, and Pandora Meadowhall One opens for business
- 2010 – Pandora Leeds (Briggate), Meadowhall Two and Harrogate stores open
- 2011 – Whitefriargate store is refurbished to give more shop floor space
- 2012 – Hugh Rice extends St. Stephen’s store with a dedicated Fashion Brand department
- 2013 – Hugh Rice opens second store in Leeds within the prestigious Trinity Shopping Mall
- 2014 – Pandora Bradford and multi-brand Harrogate store open their doors for customers, and Luke Campbell signs sponsorship deal with Hugh Rice